Friday, October 31, 2008

The purpose of dogs' legs

I love children's literature because it can say things in a simple and direct way that adult literature often cannot.

This week my daughter and I checked a book out of the local library entitled We Honestly CAN Look After Your Dog. It is a book in the Charlie and Lola series by Lauren Child. Lola and her friend Lotta are attempting to demonstrate their vast knowledge of the needs of canine friends in an effort to convince Charlie's friend Marv that they can safely look after his dog while he goes to play football (soccer).

"Lola says, 'Dogs must go outside and must walk.'
"Lotta says, 'Otherwise what is the point of their legs?'"

So that is the message for today - take your dogs out for a walk -- otherwise what is the point of their legs?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 1, 2008 at 2:41:00 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

My dad's boxer loves to play soccer. I bet she plays 95% of the time she is outside. Uses her feet to run and her head to guide the ball.

 
At March 17, 2009 at 4:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Holly Carter said...

I am reading a book I picked up at the library today: Walking Ollie by Stephen Foster. He says,"If a proper dog...does not exert itself twice daily, it will become an unseemly tub of tripe. A tour around the block will not do. The animal needs a run -- ergo the single most alarming aspect of dog ownership: you are forced into direct contact with nature." (p.17)
Well-stated I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home